Saturday, May 29, 2010

Chat it out!

I'm learning many things during my joy journey. One of the things I've learned is that when an issue arises with another person, instead of leaving things unsaid or holding things in, it's usually better for all involved to get things out in the open and talk about it.  

Sounds simple, yet many times, we may feel it's better to ignore the issue or blow it off, in order to keep the peace. But in the long run, I've found that peace is the very thing that's lost when we don't speak up.

Who likes confrontation, right?  Okay, some do, but that's for another day. For the most part, I think we all want to get along, and sometimes, we're afraid or reluctant to discuss an issue with a person because we're unsure of the outcome.

Yet, the alternative... holding it in, letting it fester, and leaving things unsaid usually does more harm than good.  Friendships and relationships are often lost due to poor communication or none at all. Sometimes we just have to talk about it. Even when it's uncomfortable. More often than not, it helps.

I had a conversation today with a friend over a matter.  My initial reaction was to let it go, but I knew it was best to address it, so it didn't snowball or cause a fallout between us.  Glad I did.  Turns out, it was a total miscommunication. They thought one thing, I thought another.  I would never have known that if I didn't broach the subject.  Neither would the other party.  We talked about it and worked everything out. Our friendship is saved... and stronger for it!

My joy moment today was my conversation with a friend to work out an issue.

A good talk, let to a good laugh and more good times ahead!

Stay tuned :-)

No comments: