Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Still of the Night

Noise. It's all around us... blaring loudly, but most of the time we're immune to it.

Sometimes it starts with a loud and annoying alarm clock, at least for me.


For the most part, as soon as we get up, the sounds of life are all around us.... and that's a good thing.  It means everything is working and moving along accordingly, well, most of the time.

But I love that time of night when everything starts to become quiet. When all the hubbub of the day has died down. When there is no noise, no sounds... it's just the still of the night.

It's that special time of night when all the electronics are shut off. When all the cars outside are parked. When there is no one walking, talking, working, running, barking, etc.   It's just peaceful and quiet.

It's usually when I reflect on the day's activities.  It's when I can "hear myself think" as the saying goes.  When I can just be still.

Due to busy schedules, many of us don't always get to enjoy some quiet time. If we do, it's usually just a few short minutes before we turn the lights out to go to sleep.

I tend to stay up a little longer than I should just to revel in the stillness for a bit. I'm always surprised at how calming it can be.  It's the perfect night cap.

I look forward to that private time before bed and it's become one of my favorite parts of the day.

Shhh. You hear that?  Me either.  That's my joy moment for today.

Stay tuned :-)

No comments: