Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Making Each Day Count

Life can get pretty hectic and it's easy for the days, weeks, and months to fly by in a blur. Case in point, it's almost February! Weren't we just celebrating New Years?!  As the saying goes, "time waits for no one".

When I first decided to take this journey, I was a little concerned about how I would actually find the joy in each day. Each day is a gift and my new mission was to make sure that each one was appreciated and meaningful (even if in a small way)... making it, for me,  a true gift.   But I worried if it was too much pressure.... would it begin to seem like a chore?  Wouldn't that be the opposite of my true intention?  After some brief contemplation, my answer... "no".

We live in a fast paced, busy world.... Work, kids, family, obligations, appointments, bills, etc.  How do we fit it all in and include the fun stuff, like vacations, parties, and anniversaries?  We plan for it. We schedule it. We make time for it.  If I wanted to experience joy in my life, each and every day, that is just what I needed to do.  Otherwise, I would miss the moments.  Scheduling, planning and devoting time to having "joy moments" meant it had an important place in my life... just like anything else I cared about.

Don't get me wrong, surprises and last minute occurrences are wonderful and I welcome them. But coming up with ideas for each day keeps me honest.  Bottom line, I want to make sure I meet my mission every, single day.

Today, my "joy moment" was writing a check to the Red Cross for the Haiti Relief Fund... giving me some satisfaction that I would be helping needy families who were experiencing devastating loss.  Thanks to the Red Cross, my donation will hopefully make a difference for many.

It feels good when a plan comes together.

Stay tuned :-)

No comments: