Wednesday, January 13, 2010

365 Smiles?!


It was a private decision I made suddenly on New Years day. Resolution? Epiphany? Breakthrough? Couldn't tell ya, but it just felt right.

My family was staying with me for the holidays and we were all having a great time during their visit. I was happy and enjoying their company. But as the day neared for them to return home, I could feel the ever-present gloom creeping back in. I knew I would fall right back into the same old rut. The same old lackluster routine... and attitude. I wasn't happy with the way I've been living and hadn't been for a long time.

I am not a depressed person. I have a good family, wonderful friends and my freelance work in TV production keeps me creative and busy... although, a bit more fickle these days.

Yet, overall joy and happiness seem to elude me. Don't get me wrong, they make appearances from time to time but they weren't getting any starring roles. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the culmination of the passings of a few of my loved ones, some medical issues and stressful family issues in previous years, had left me more than a little underwhelmed. Go figure, right?! 

The old me... vibrant, outgoing, upbeat and fun. The present me... low key, reclusive and lackluster! It was time for a change... and a big one. Life is short.

Instead of waking up each day feeling stressed, discontent, and just going through the motions, I wanted to wake up feeling happy, motivated and grateful... as much as possible! I am not living my best life, and I know it. Oprah would be appalled. :-)

It was time to live. Time to find the happy. Time to find joy.

Each day is a gift, right? So how do you live a joyous life each and every day? I don't know, but I'm on a mission to make it happen.

The countdown begins... 365 days of smiles. Stay tuned. :-)

No comments: